Friday, June 15, 2012

Some Reviews of Recently Enjoyed Music and Books

Thoughts on "Commando"

On the way to the annual pilgrimage known as Punk Rock Bowling, I scrambled to find something to read for the flight there and back.  Even though I was wielding my new smart phone, I didn't want to be tied to it more than I currently am.  I made the trek to the only actual bookstore in Pittsfield and snagged a copy of "Commando", Johnny Ramone's autobiography.




I looked at it briefly after walking out of the store and the first thing I noticed was that it's a very impressive looking book.  The cover is very heavy duty cardboard and the pages are glossy.  For a punk rock book, it's top notch similar to that of "Fucked Up & Photocopied", except it's not a coffee table book that's currently out of print going for insane amounts of money.  Before driving away, I sat in the car and stared at the book.  A five hour flight was in my immediate future and I didn't want to start reading before I was actually at the airport, I wanted to start this book fresh.  I wanted to read a punk rock book on the way to Punk Rock Bowling. Without looking at too much as to ruin it for myself, I checked out a couple of the photos which were neat, Johnny's criticisms of all of the Ramones' albums and a few other things that didn't spoil the impending punk rock reading marathon.

One incredibly interesting detail that still has me shaking my head to this day is that the book was bound and printed in China.  How anyone involved with Johnny's estate would've let this detail slip by as okay is beyond me.  This is something Johnny wouldn't have been okay with.  Even his words in the book state something along these lines and it's just a shame that this wasn't even a detail that mattered to the publisher or his estate.  The book wasn't cheap and an additional $5 more wouldn't have mattered to me if the manufacturing of "Commando" was actually done in the USA. 

This would've certainly pissed on Johnny Ramone, hell, it pissed me off and I had just walked out of the bookstore with the book.  I actually debated on returning it for this very reason, but curiosity got the best of me.  I had to read it.  I'm glad I didn't return it, "Commando" is a great book.  It's like an early Ramones album, its short and too the point without a lot of fluff within the main story.  Some of the fluff that populates "Commando" is wisely left for the end of the book as it contains Johnny's unofficial Book of Lists.   Johnny always seemed to be the most serious of the Ramones and this book proves that to be case.  He had a tough persona and was all business and while the band didn't get along for whatever reason (which was often), they knew their fans were dedicated and they had to be dedicated to their fans.

I loved the overall presentation of "Commando", the photos and Johnny's perspective on being in a band who changed the landscape of rock n' roll forever.  The book brought me back to a happier time in my life and even though I knew the outcome, I read it as if I didn't know he would pass away upon completion of his story.  "Commando" is something I can recommend without a second thought.

"Just Kids" by Patti Smith

Flight delays are no fun and this trip was filled with delays to and from Las Vegas.  After finishing "Commando" in a few hours in the Albany airport, I started Patti Smith's "Just Kids", which I had picked up upon exiting passenger screening and I'm very happy I did.  Both the outcome of "Commando" and "Just Kids" are similar, major protagonists don't live to see the wonderful written tributes to them in finalized form.   Fortunately (or unfortunately depending upon my mood) I remember the controversies of artist Robert Mapplethorpe and the fear he brought to people because of the art he produced.  In 2012, it seems so ridiculous but at the time hearing about it, it made New York City seem so far away and magical in an odd way.  Living in the isolated hills of far western Massachusetts, you didn't hear too much factual information just random news reports or crazy conservatives like Jesse Helms attacking these crazy artists and their grant money.

"Just Kids" is not only inspiring and magical, but it's also tragic and gut-wrenching.  I wasn't aware of the extent of the connection between Patti Smith and Robert Mapplethorpe until picking up this book.  What started as completely random encounter laid the seeds for a beautiful friendship, sometimes romantic, frustrating, inspiring and always fulfilling.  Smith is one of rock n' roll's strongest lyricists and her talent made it very difficult to put down "Just Kids" when I was finally ready to pass out for the night.  


While portions of "Just Kids" are solely devoted to Smith's story, Mapplethorpe is always on her mind like soul mates out on their own adventures eagerly awaiting their next encounter to share stories with each other.  Interestingly enough, the two never traveled afar together.  They'd visited Patti's family in New Jersey on occasion, but any extended trips were in the company of others. 

One of the more fascinating stories in "Just Kids" is how Patti assembled what was to be known as the Patti Smith Group.  She brings you back into the busy nights of the infamous Warhol hang out Max's Kansas City, the early days of CBGB's and bustling Chelsea Hotel.  From self-conscious poet to one of the most influential female voices in rock n' roll all because of the encouragement of Mr. Robert Mapplethorpe.   All the while during this book, I couldn't get the inevitable ending out of my mind.  What would this world be like had Mapplethorpe lived?

I loved this book and I loved "Commando", but I think I loved "Just Kids" just a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment